Are you looking to go beyond your 10-20 minute body scan meditation?
If you’re tired of your basic body scan, awareness meditation you do every morning, I recommend you uplevel your, what we call inbound at Boundless, routine with a chakra meditation. Body scan meditation is an incredible starter meditation, but sometimes, we need a switch-up in order to continue to evolve, grow & nurture our soul’s boundless potential. The chakras, aka the energy centers of the body, are a great next step to deepen your connection, release blockages & elevate your level of consciousness.
Many of us don’t realize when our chakras are blocked, but it can disrupt our mental and physical wellbeing. By practicing chakra meditation we cleanse and balance out the energy of our chakra system. Chakra meditation is all about focusing on each chakra, from root to crown, to control and restore the energy that flows through them.
Each chakra has strong associations. Knowing a little bit about each one beforehand will make chakra meditation easier, and there’s no shame in using guided meditations for a little extra support! There are a ton of ways to balance the chakras through meditation, like color visualization, yoga poses, mantras, eating and even wearing chakra-coordinated clothes — so consciously cool, right? At Boundless, we use crystals and essential oils for a lot of our chakra Re:bound rituals. Here, I’ll be giving a brief, yet comprehensive overview of each chakra and the various ways you can weave these energy centers into your mindfulness practice.
Before diving headfirst into chakra meditation here are important things to take note of:
- What is color visualization? Each chakra has a corresponding color (Root is red, Sacral is orange, etc.). Fun fact, it actually follows the color of the rainbow! During your meditation, focus on each chakra starting with the root and imagine its corresponding color located in the corresponding energy center. Visualize energy flowing through each chakra one at a time. Focus on one or work your way all the way up to the Crown!
- What are mantras? We’ve all heard of mantras before, but what actually are they? Originating from ancient Sanskrit language, a mantra is a “powerful sound or vibration”, a “sacred utterance” that can bring us into a meditative and spiritually healing state. Every chakra has its own mantra, which can be repeated out loud as you move through each one. These mantras bring healing power to the chakras.
- How about mudras? A mudra, meaning “gesture” in Sanskrit, is a unique hand gesture that’s often used in meditation and yoga to bring awareness and openness to the chakras.
- Meditating through all the chakras helps bring the entire chakra system into parasympathetic balance.
- Over time you’ll be able to sense which chakras are blocked or out of balance. This is where individual chakra meditation comes in handy. You can focus specifically on the chakras that need some TLC!
- Settle down and get comfy before getting started! Finding a spot where you feel peaceful and undisturbed is very important for meditation, especially for all of you conscious newbies out there!
- Lastly, you don’t have to use mantras, mudras, crystals, etc. all at the same time! Do what feels right for you – this is just for guidance!
Located at the base of the spine, it’s the chakra of stability, basic needs, and grounding. A balanced root chakra makes us feel grounded, centered, strong and secure. A blocked root chakra can cause anxiety, fear, joint and lower back pain, and a poor immune system.
Mudra: The Muladhara Mudra
Crystals: Red Jasper, Hematite, Red Garnet, Onyx, Smokey Quartz
Yoga Poses: Tree Pose, Mountain Pose, Warrior II
Essential Oils: Cedarwood, Patchouli, Frankincense
The sacral chakra is located just below the belly button (the pelvic area) and is all about relationships, creativity, and sexuality. When this chakra is balanced it makes us feel passionate, friendly, and joyful. When the sacral chakra is blocked we may experience sexual difficulties, a lack of creative inspiration, uterine or bladder issues, or emotional instability.
Mudra: The Shakti Mudra
Crystals: Amber, Carnelian, Orange Calcite, Tiger Eye, Goldstone
Yoga Poses: Goddess Pose, Pigeon Pose, Reverse Warrior
Essential Oils: Orange, Sandalwood, Ylang Ylang
Solar Plexus (Yellow)
Located just between the ribcage and the navel, the solar plexus connects us to our individual power, affects our relationship to the world and how we see ourselves within it, and our actions. A balanced solar plexus makes us feel confident, productive and energized. An imbalanced solar plexus causes low-energy, muscle cramps, insecurity, procrastination, and digestive issues.
Mudra: The Rudra Mudra
Crystals: Pyrite, Citrine, Yellow Jade, Rutilated Quartz, Yellow Jasper
Yoga Poses: Boat Pose, Sun Salutation, Warrior III
Essential Oils: Cypress, Geranium, Ginger
The heart chakra is located (surprise, surprise!) within the heart! It’s right in the middle of all 7 chakras and unites the Chakras of Matter (the lower three) with the Chakras of Spirit (the upper three). The heart chakra is our source of love, emotions, and connection. When this chakra is balanced we are forgiving, spiritually aware, givers and recipients of love, and are able to form emotional connections with others. When the heart chakra is imbalanced it can cause loneliness, hatred, circulation problems, and chest pains.
Mudra: The Padma Mudra
Crystals: Green Aventurine, Jade, Rose Quartz, Emerald, Amazonite
Yoga Poses: Camel Pose, Upward-Facing Dog, Wheel Pose
Essential Oils: Rose, Jasmine, Lavender, Mandarin
Located in the throat, the throat chakra is all about communication and speaking our truth. When our throat chakra is balanced we’re able to communicate constructively, consciously listen, and express our true, authentic selves. When it’s imbalanced it can cause suppressed emotions, social anxiety, sore throat, thyroid issues, and tension headaches.
Mudra: The Granthita Mudra
Crystals: Lapis Lazuli, Blue Lace Agate, Aquamarine, Kyanite, Sodalite
Yoga Poses: Fish Pose, Supported Shoulderstand, Head Rolls
Essential Oils: Chamomile, Spearmint, Peppermint
Third Eye (Indigo)
Located on the forehead and between the eyebrows, our third eye is our center of intuition, divine wisdom, and insight into the spirit world and our world. When our third eye is healthy and balanced it allows us to see the world through clear lenses, have active imaginations, and communicate with the universe. When our third eye is blocked it can cause anxiety, depression, lack of self-trust, headaches, and problems with the pituitary and pineal glands.
Mudra: The Mudra of the Great Head
Crystals: Amethyst, Labradorite, Purple Fluorite, Angelite, Iolite
Yoga Poses: Cat/Cow Pose, Candle Gazing, Child’s Pose
Essential Oils: Clary Sage, Helichrysum, Juniper
The crown chakra is located right at the top of the head and is our direct connection to the universe and the world around us. A balanced crown chakra allows us to accept and process divine guidance, makes us feel enlightened, open-minded, and one with the universe. A blocked crown chakra can cause feelings of emotional distress, confusion, materialism, migraines, and problems with the nervous system. It’s difficult to open the crown chakra, so don’t be discouraged! It takes a lot of practice.
Mudra: The Mudra of A Thousand Petals
Crystals: Selenite, Lepidolite, Clear Quartz, Amethyst, Ametrine
Yoga Poses: Headstand, Savasana (Corpse Pose), Rabbit Pose
Essential Oils: Myrrh, Neroli, Rose