I stared in my bathroom mirror scrutinizing my face after my fourth chemotherapy treatment and realized how grey and lifeless my skin had become. I have always had an issue with popped capillaries on my face and over the past few months they seem to have darkened while my pale skin faded during treatment. I whipped out my magnifying mirror and found a handful of new dark red spots on my cheeks, under my nose (random) and on my neck. I did what every woman would naturally do, take a deep breathe, and panic.
(Photo: Courtesy NY Times).
I shop regularly at all-natural beauty store, CAP Beauty, located in the heart of West Village, but have never experienced their spa. One, because it’s not cheap (facials start at about $200) and two, because I haven’t really felt the need for them before. I’m 24 years old and, for the most part, take good care of my skin, but that face-to-face meeting with my mirror told me it was time to take action. I made an appointment for “The Facial” at CAP Beauty, my recommendation for every facial beginner because they give you a skin I.D. and tell you what products work best with your skin type and lifestyle.
Facial room at CAP Beauty.
The CAP Beauty facial room didn’t feel too bougie like some spas. It was dimly lit, homey and relaxing. I striped down to my birthday suit, climbed onto a sofa bed chair and under a puffy comforter, like I was about to take a nap.
Dr. Alkaitis Organic Enzyme Exfoliating Mask.
Each facial is customized at CAP Beauty depending on your skin type and current state of your skin. Thus, I won’t delve into the exact treatment that I received because everyone is different. However, I will relay some newfound, insider knowledge that applies to everyone!
- The best order for your day beauty routine is to cleanse, apply toner, serum, moisturizer and lastly, eye cream. For night: cleanse, apply toner, acne treatment, serum, any other creams, eye treatment and finally, oil. A rule of thumb is to layer on thin to thick.
- Apply one tablespoon of organic, plain, full fat yogurt to your skin once a week. The lactic acid in yogurt will help dissolve dead skin and tighten pores. You can also mix a teaspoon of Wedderspoon Honey Premium Raw Manuka Active 16+ for gentle exfoliation and anti inflammatory benefits.
- Raw, unfiltered honey makes one killer facial, literally. It’s a natural antibacterial, anti-fungal agent so it’s great for acne prevention and treatment. It’s also jam-packed with antioxidants and extremely moisturizing to help prevent wrinkles and aging.
- Castor oil is kick ass catalyst for hair growth. It is loaded with vitamin E, Omega 6 and 9 fatty acids, and ricinoleic acid (about 90% of castor oil’s make up) which is naturally nourishing for the scalp.
- You should wash your face for about 20 to 30 seconds every morning and night to completely cleanse to remove dirt. Make sure to deeply massage your skin to help exfoliate and brighten your skin.