As a Partnerships Editor at Hearst Digital Media, I try boatloads of beauty products which is fun for any beauty enthusiast, but it’s no lie that my skin takes a hit — uneven skin tone, slight keratosis polaris, and popped capillary scars are my main enemies. My vanity is stocked with non-toxic, all-natural beauty products and I try wellness remedies that heal from the inside-out, but I thought it was time to research beyond the products and rituals to find the ultimate beauty balance for my unique bio-individuality. Cue me stumbling upon Ayurveda or, “an ancient system of healing” described by Anit Hora, Founder of Ayurvedic luxe beauty brand Mullein and Sparrow.
Ayurveda is all about the mind, body, and spirit connection — a holistic phrase that resonated with me due to my recent cancer recovery earlier this year. With incredible influence in the nutrition and spiritual space, Ayurveda (similar to the organic movement) is breaking into the beauty industry. For Anit Hora, it has always been an influential foundation for her boho-chic lifestyle as a beauty entrepreneur based in Brooklyn, but she has seen the recent rise of ayurveda as well.
As a serial beauty product lover, I thought Anit could lend me some words of wisdom on how she maintains balance in her personal beauty routine and what I could do (and you!) to help keep your inner- and outer-beauty in equilibrium.
WHAT’S YOUR DOSHA?
First, it’s wise to figure out what dosha you are. A dosha is the energy that embodies your being — AKA your inner beauty. There are three doshas in Ayurveda: kapha (water), pitta (fire), and vata (air). “In my opinion, everyone is a mix of all three. You can be dominate in one dosha, but you can’t be just one,” emphasized Hora. I took this online test and my results were a mix of pitta and kapha, however this can shift as your lifestyle (stress, career, home, etc.) change. For examples, during the majority of my in-person consultations, including with Anit, I have leaned more towards pitta. Again, everyone is a mix of all three.
HOW YOUR DOSHA DICTATES YOUR ROUTINE
Given I was a mix of Pitta and Kapha (Fire and water), my skin is a mix of oily, or troubled, and dry.
- Stick to gentle products with non-toxic ingredients
- SPF always to prevent irritation, inflammation, and sunburn — all common issues for Pitta personalities.
- Gentle cleansers to offset oily skin
- Calming ingredients such as rose and tea tree
Lemon Rose Face Wash | $36 BUY NOW
Facial Steam | $36 BUY NOW
If you are Kapha (Water) dominate, your skin is likely oily to normal.
- Cleanse your face every night — do to your oily-prone skin
- Try not to over-exfoliate or -tone. You don’t want to dry out your skin and cause an influx in oil production
- Opt for lightweight moisturizers that have a citrus element for added energy
If you are Pitta (Fire) dominate, your skin is likely troubled.
- Opt for fragrance-free to prevent irritation
- SPF *everyday*! Although, every dosha should be wearing sunscreen everyday
- Focus on cooling and hydrating ingredients like cucumber, coconut, and sandalwood
Facial Mask| $24 BUY NOW
If you are Vata (Air) dominate, your skin is likely dry.
- Try cleansing with an oil cleanser or double cleansing for an extra-hydrated glow
- Moisturize every day to prevent dry patches
- Focus on ultra-hydrating face oils that saturate skin with moisture
Cleansing Oil | $42 BUY NOW